Dr. Neffs Favorite Recipes
Biscotti Recipe from Bonnie Arndt
1 cup of butter and sugar
slowly add two eggs, 1 tsp. of vanilla extract, ½ tsp. of almond extract & ¼ cup of milk
Next put in mixer:
3 ½ cups of flour,(a dash of anise if you like it) and 2tsp. of baking powder and mix with the wet ingredients
Next add 1 heaping cup of sliced or slivered almonds
Mix into the rest of the ingredients
If you wish, add chocolate chips, cranberries etc. at this point
Plop the dough onto a cookie sheet and shape into logs
Cook at 350˚ for 30 min. then turn off oven and take out the cookie sheet
Slice into biscotti shapes, turn on their sides and put back into the oven
Let biscotti stay in the oven for 20 min. then
Turn pieces onto the other side and put back in oven for 20 min at least again till crunchy. You can leave in the oven all night so they are really crunchy if you bake at night.
Dip ½ if each biscotti in melted chocolate if you so desire. Enjoy!
Italian Sausage Soup
2 cups sausages cut in 1/2 " lengths (or loose sausage)
Brown over med. heat
2 cloves garlic diced
2 large onions chopped
Stir till limp
Stir in 1 large can of Tomatoes (I like the Italian w/basil that are already diced) including liquid
3 (14 oz.) cans of regular strength beef broth (low sodium)
1 1/2 cups dry red wine
1/2 tsp. basil
Simmer uncovered 30 minutes
Cool & Chill - discard fat that accumulates on top
Reheat and Add:
3 Tbs. parsley
1 green pepper chopped
2 med zucchini 1/4 " slices
3 cups uncooked bowtie noodles
Simmer covered for 25 min. till noodles are el dente
** during this process the noodles take up a lot of the juice. If you like it better juicy, add more liquid: more wine, broth or tomato juice.
Sprinkle with fresh parmesan, mozzerella or romano cheese.
Jane Brody’s Island Chicken
- 4 pounds cut up, skinned chicken parts
- 1 11-ounce can mandarin oranges, including juice
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 3 or more tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 425˚ F.
2. Place the chicken parts, except the breast pieces, in a 9 X 13 in. baking pan, preferably a glass or ceramic one
3. Drain the juice from the mandarin oranges into a measuring cup, setting aside the orange sections, and add enough broth to the juice to make 1 cup. Add the remaining ingredients to the liquid and pour the mixture over the chicken.
4. Place the uncovered pan of chicken into the hot oven, and bake the chicken for 25 minutes
5. Add the breast pieces and reserved orange sections to the pan, and continue baking the chicken, basting it often, for another 25 minutes or until the thigh meat is no longer pink at the bone. Serve the chicken with its juices.
Paul Prudhomme's Barbecued Shrimp Recipe
2 dozen medium-large raw shrimp with shells included (about 1 pound)
Seasoning mix Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary leaves, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) butter, plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, in all
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup seafood stock or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup beer at room temperature
Rinse the shrimp in cold water and drain well. Leave shells on. In a small bowl, combine seasoning mix ingredients. Combine one stick of the butter, the garlic, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning mix in a large skillet over high heat. When the butter is melted, add the shrimp. Cook for 2 minutes, shaking the pan (do not stir), in a back and forth motion. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons butter and the stock, cook and shake pan for 2 more minutes. Add the beer and cook and shake the pan 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Serve immediately on a platter with a mound of white rice or seasoned rice in the center and the shrimp and sauce surrounding it.
Baked Tomatoes and Basil on Spaghetti
- Olive oil
- 16 Roma Tomatoes, sliced lengthwise in half
- 1/4 C. cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 2 T. unsalted butter, softened
- 16 fresh basil leaves, torn
- Parmesan cheese
Oil baking sheet or long pan. Place tomatoe halves on sheet, cut side up. Sprinkle with garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake 60 min. in preheated 425 degree oven, or until browned on edges and soft. Cook spaghetti until al dente. Place half of the cooked tomatoes and butter into a pasta bowl. Mash into a sauce. Toss the hot pasta with the sauce, and top with remaining tomatoes. Sprinkle with basil leaves and serve with parmesan cheese.
Sweet Potato Soup with Blue Corn Tortillas
Recipe courtesy BobbyFlay
Sweet Potato Soup:
- 3 cups leftover mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 2 teaspoons chipotle in adobo puree
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Blue Corn tortilla chips, coarsely crushed, for garnish
Whisk together the mashed potatoes, 1 1/2 cups of the broth, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Whisk in the 1/4 cup creme fraiche and more broth, if needed, and cook for 5 minutes.
Whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup of creme fraiche and chipotle puree in a small bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a dollop of the creme fraiche, some cilantro leaves and some of the tortilla chips.
Mashed sweet potatoes:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile puree
- 5 large sweet potatoes boiled until just cooked through and peeled
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine the butter, milk, cream and chipotle puree in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
While the potatoes are hot, run them though a ricer into a large bowl. Add the warm milk mixture, syrup, honey, cinnamon and salt and pepper and mix until combined.